Re: Speaker placement question

From: Shawn Shultzaberger (shultzas@mwr.kic.or.jp)
Date: Sat Jun 28 1997 - 19:19:42 EDT

Jack Snodgrass wrote:

> I was looking at the Aug 97 issue of 'Sport Truck' magazine. They
> had an
> article about putting in a kenwood stereo in to a 97 dakota. They
> custom
> made some fiberglass kicker panels to replace the stock kicker panels
> and
> placed some speakers in front of the door speakers, under the dash.
>
> I don't have any fiberglass experience, so I was thinking about
> buying
> a replacement set of kicker panels to experiment with. I spent about
> 20
> minutes at the dodge parts counter and the guy helping me couldn't
> locate
> the panels. I finally gave up and said I'd just call back later and
> see
> if they could figure it out. Has anyone else looked at this area for
> speakers?
>
> As for the stock speaker location.... I couldn't figure out how to
> get
> the speaker grills off ( remember... I have a 97 dakota ). I think
> that
> I've decided that the speaker grills are part of the door panels and
> I'd
> have to remove the entire door panel to see what's back there. Can
> someone
> confirm this? I think that the same thing is true for the rear
> speakers in
> the club cab area. The grill over those speakers looks like it's part
> of
> the wall panel. If the grill is part of the wall panel... how easy is
> it
> to remove the wall panel?
>
> If I do have to remove the door panels... how do they come off? I
> have
> power windows and locks. Do I just remove the visible screws in the
> door
> panel? Is there any 'gotchas' because of the power windows and door
> locks?
>
> Lastly... the piece of molding between the front windshield and
> the
> door looks like it might pop off. Could some surface mount tweeters be
>
> placed on each of these pillars and the wires run behind the moldings?
>
> I hate to start pulling things apart if I don't know that I can get
> them
> back together again.
>
> Thanks.

 Jack,

    I currently don't have my 97 yet but I will pick it up in
September. I have been doing some research for a sound system of my own
and have found that yes you will have to pull off the interior door
panels. I have found that most doors on vehicles come off the same
way. First you must take out any visible screws, next sometimes in the
arm rests there are 2 to 3 bolts or large screws. Check to see if there
are any screw covers covering up these things. After you have found all
the screws you will need a putty knife or a special Chrysler tool (putty
knife works just as well or you can be very careful and just use your
fingers and hands to gently pop the door off ) to remove the little
plastic thingy's that secure the interior panel to the metal door. I
can't remember the names of these little plastic things but there will
be 5 to 10 of them around the perimeter of the interior door panel.
After that disconnect the power door lock and window connectors
somewhere on the back of the door panel. Once that is done you will be
able to get at that speaker.
    As far as the rears, I am sure that you will have to take out the
molding as well to get to them. I believe that the speakers in the
truck are 6.5" On the club cab I don't know if the rears are 6.5" or
8"... I would assume 6.5" though.
    Q-Logic makes some kickpanel speaker housings for the Ram's. Their
kickerpanels are called Q-forms. You may have already seen those. I'm
not to sure if they make them for the Dakota's or not but you may want
to give them a call. The biggest speaker they will hold, I believe, is
a 5.25". I too will use the kickpanels to place my speakers. You get
great equal path lengths and it just sounds sooooo good... : -) Good
luck and let me know how it all turns out....

Shawn
(soon to have 97 Sport, RegCab, V8, 5spd, 3.55sg and all the goodies)