Re: Roar!

From: Corky (corky@lnknet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 1997 - 08:36:47 EDT

Gary Atkinson wrote:

> Hey,
> I have an annoying roar that I think I have isolated down to the cooling
> fan/clutch. It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 30-40% of the time
> and is quite loud. I "sounds" like a slow shift out of first gear and
> that the engine is racing. A quick check of the tach showed that not to
> be the case. It happens with hard or easy acceleration and when I hold a
> constant rpm, the roar fades away.
>
> Its a 97 V-6 auto. Can anyone tell me if this is a thermal clutch? It
> not associated with air conditioning, seems to happen independant of
> engine temperature, and happens in gear or when in park/neutral Any
> second opinions (asking for opinions on this list is dangerous :-) )
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Gary Atkinson, 97 V6 cc sport

Gary, don't know about the new ones but I fought with CC for over a year
about the fan clutch in my 92 V8. When it engaged you couldn't hear the
radio. Dealers put in 4 clutches and all were the same.I finally got the
center in Phoenix and a tech sent a experimental fan. Locals installed
it and thats what I have now. Better, but still noisy. They increased
the therm setting so it wouldn't come on so much and reduced the blade
pitch so it wouldn't be so noisy. My big grip was that when I pulled my
trailer, 21' 5th wheel and it engaged, it was like throwing out an
anchor. I would have thought they could have improved by now. Tech said
it takes away about 13-15 HP. Bad design!