Re: Roar!

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 1997 - 12:39:39 EDT

The engine fan with AC is about the size of the propeller used on the B-29
or F4U (the rest of the old guys will know what I'm talking about), and
when the fan clutch is engaged and that puppy is spinning full tilt it'll
roar. A friend who had the AC installed on his '92 3.9 by the dealer
noted the roar when he picked his Dakota up after the installation. When
he arrived home he was told that it was the fan. The non AC fan is (I
believe) a four blade with much less blade pitch (too lazy to go get my
shop manual to check for sure) than the AC engine fan.

As I mentioned in my initial post the fan only roars when first starting
up after the truck has been sitting for awhile, the outside temp makes a
difference on how long it has to sit. When the fan clutch is engaged
engine power is noticeably reduced.

However, I have pulled up the grade from the Columbia River at Vantage,
WA, westbound, not steep but about 6 to 8 miles long, in the summer with
the AC on with no signs of overheating and no indication that the engine
fan was doing anything more than idling along. That is, no roar.

Besides it's fun to wake up the neighbors at 0545 hrs with the roaring fan
on the Dakota! Either that or the exhaust system on the bike, they have a
choice.

Larry, '92, 3.9, 5 sp'd, 4x4, LE, MP SBEC, K&N clone, more to come