Re: Roar! (electric fans)

From: Scott Vieth (vieths@kci.wayne.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 05 1997 - 06:56:03 EDT

> I had considered going electric or flex blade but the local race engine
> builder told me that if I had the clutch type fan then I would not gain a
> thing. He siad the electric is big draw on alt and the flex is always turning
> where the clutch type when clutch is not engaged draws very little power. He
> told me it would be a waste of money and time?? I was going to buy it from
> him and he has told me several times not to get something because it wouldn't
> help enough to pay off. Hey it's his loss so I have tobelieve him. He has all
> the Dyno and flow bench equipment and has a lot of expierience in
> performance. He likes to challenge claims of power on his equipment.
>
> Bill

BUTTTTTT, the electric fan is only drawing on the alternator when it is
running. When the engine is cooled by incoming air (like when you're whipping
down the freeway at 55 mph), the fan is not drawing power from the alternator.
I'd rather have the electric fan drawing zero amps at 55 mpg than a cluch fan
that is half-engaged dragging on the engine.

-Scott
=Scott Vieth
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone