Guess what happened 15 mins. ago!

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 14:22:47 EDT

        I was on my way to pick up some building materials for my
work crew, and while driving at a leisurely pace I spot 2 cars flying up
behind me. It was a black Porsche Carerra 4 (one of the new ones) and a
new Ford SHO (white). They blew by me (I was running 45 in a 45 zone),
then
hit the red light at the next intersection. This is a 2 lane each/way
road, with
minimal traffic this time of the morning (10:00 am). I pulled up behind
the Porsche,
and studied the situation. Apparently this was a race (duh..), so I
thought what
the heck... I'll play.

        Green light... The Porsche leapt off with a flash, and small puffs
of blue/gray smoke came from all four tires. The SHO did it's best with a
little wheel shimmy, then screeched away trying to catch the Porsche.
Mean while, I followed the Porsche with a 1st-5500 rpm, 2nd-5500 rpm,
3rd-4800 rpm
launch, and passed the SHO, then went after the Porsche.. FAT CHANCE,
right?
Well, the Porsche went to left turn lane at the next light, I followed (the
SHO went
straight), then to the next light (right turn), then up a hill to another
light). All the
while I stayed within 5 car lengths of the Porsche. At the light (2 left
turn lanes),
I took the left most lane, with the Porsche on the right. The guy looked
over at
me and shook his head...

        Green light... I went slow in first to make the turn, then hammered 2nd,
3rd, then
4th gear... The Porsche took me in 2nd (by 3 car lengths), but I actually
gained a car
length in my run in 3rd as we climbed up this steep hill (Mr.
McBride...this was Lusk Blvd.),
but again fell back about 5 car lengths... At the top of the hill, it was a
red light, YES...
I slowed down, and dropped down into 3rd... The light turned green as the
Porsche was
even with me on my right, and the guy had a bunch of smoke pour out of his
exhaust as
he hammered it while rolling along at about 40 mph (wrong gear?)... Again
he pulled
about 3 car lengths ahead, but I had a slight down hill run, so he didn't
pull away from
me... Took 4th gear to 5000 rpm, and was within 3 car lengths all the
time... Next light
he turned right, I turned right... (lots of braking for both of us)... As
I turned right towards
my destination, I flashed my lights... He gave me a thumbs up through the
sunroof...

I was laughing so hard, I had to sit in my truck for a seconds before I got
out.

        $19000 truck vs. $78000 sportscar... He probably wasn't as pleased.

Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/