Re: "SureGrip" Installation cost, Attn: Kane Turner

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 23:02:16 EDT

>On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 DRD892@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Evening Kane,
>>
>> I am assuming your '97 Dakota 5.2 is a 4X2.
>>
>> I also have this model and had the "SureGrip" installed in March.
>> The cost of purchasing the "SureGrip" (Track Lock) case and
>> installing it was $439.44.
>>
>> My axle had the 3.92 gears. I am not sure what a set of 8 1/4 Ring
>> and Pinion goes for. You could check the dealer for a price. Aslo,
>> check performance shops where you live. The cost of the Ring and Pinion
>> (3.92) would be additional. The same "SureGrip" case fits all the current
>> ratios (3.21, 3.55 and 3.92). It is built by Dana. If you need the part
>> number, check my earlier posts or let me know.
>>
>> I have been very pleased with the performance (street) of the "SureGrip".
>> Be very, very careful about applying too much power on a turn...
>> especially in the wet.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> David R.
>> Sterling Heights
>>

>Thanks David. After I get my Gibson Exhaust Im going to get the SG. Do you
>think I should keep the 3.22 gears, or get 3.92, 3.55.
>Thanks.
>Kane
>1997 Dakota Sport 4*2 reg. cab 5.2liter 3.2gears, K&N FIPK

David, thanks for the price. I am considering putting sure grip in my 96.
I assume that is parts and labor at a Chrysler dealership?

Kane, if you do decide to change gears, go with the 3.55 unless you plan on
racing someone. Mine has this gear and it's a good compromise for pulling
and gas mileage. If you plan on towing or could care less of gas mileage,
go with the 3.92. The 318 will feel like a completely different vehicle.

David, let me know if I am off base.

Rob Robinson
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport-RED
 Short Bed Standard Cab
318-3.55
"Air by Meldrum"-(14" chrome air cleaner 3" K&N Element)
Rhino muffler-dual exit
9.9 @ 72mph 1/8 mile