Re: Exhaust questions (again)

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 11:27:11 EDT

At 09:54 PM 7/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
>So I ordered a Gibson, and am waiting anxiously for it. I do this because
>a want a good performance muffler with dual 2.5" pipes out to match the
>Doug Thorleys going on next week.
>
>Well I stop by the local muffler shop that might be doing the work, and he
>tells me that I am NUTS for putting a Gibson ($99) on if I am planning to
>install the DT headers and new MP chip (the year it comes out), and paying
>extra for all Mandrel bends. He said the ONLY way to go is a good
>Flowmaster. I explained that I have heard the 2 stage units and they are
>too loud for me. He tells me that Flowmaster makes a much better unit than
>the two stage and it's much quieter. He highly recommended that I let him
>install the Flowmaster of his choice ($140) and if I don't like it, he'll
>make it better until I'm happy.

        He's pushing what he sells. The Flowmaster is a *very* good muffler but
that doesn't mean the Gibson isn't too. Gibson builds their mufflers to
work especially for a trucks power band.

>Now we are talking $145 for the muffler, and about $300 worth of pipe
>bending/welding, and mending. He'll be putting a 3" pipe coming from the
>Catalyst, and will re-install the O2 sensor in that 3" pipe, then running
>dual 2.5" out the passenger side.

        oh, I thought you wanted *split* dual exits.....one on each side of the
license plate. If you're running 2 parallel pipes out to the passenger
side $300 is *way* too much.

>This shop is in Santa Rosa, about 1 mile from the Flowmaster headquarters.
> I guess he might know what he's doing. He even offered me to meet one of
>the guru's at Flowmaster and listen to his 318.

        Wouldn't hurt to listen to it but based on your earlier posts of what
you're looking for you'll be very happy with the Gibson.

>I need some input! What do I do? Do I eat the ($95) and go with the
>Flowmaster? Do I install the Gibson??

        Keep the Gibson I say. I've heard 'em and they sound *really* good. And
that's coming from someone who wanted LOUD. You might want to get a
second price from another shop too. Never hurts to shop around.

*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6a, Blaster coil awaiting installation
****