Re: Throttle Body Mods

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 13:29:47 EDT

At 07:42 PM 7/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>im all done!! i fired it up and it idled normally, the engine light did not
>come on, i drove it for 30 miles (to let the computer re-learn the mixture)
>just now and i noticed a nice increase in throttle response. this mod is
>definately worth it man!. the only bad part is, the roads here are all wet,
>so i cant do any nice WOT's at a stand still to see if i have an even
>bigger traction problem. but i do notice a definate increase in throttle
>response, this mod is worth the effort i put in.

        I rechecked your post about the guy on the Ram list doing this mod to see
what year Indy he had. I'll bet it was a '95. OBDII is a much quicker
responding engine control system. I read an article once that mentioned
reading the O2 sensor reading in two different Mustangs; one pre-OBD and
one WITH OBD. The pre OBD vehicle's reading were "choppy" for lack of a
better term. The OBD vehicle sampled at a *much* faster rate as the
readings fluctuated smoothly with the engine.

The same situation applied to the FIPK clones and exhuast mods on pre and
post OBD trucks. Pre OBD trucks are requiring a couple of days to fully
adjust to the mods. I'm seeing the post OBD trucks/vehicles reacting
almost immediately to the new system parameters.

I noticed at one point he mentioned reading about enlarging the throttle
bores to 80mm. I think the correct statement is enlarging the bores .080"
additional. This would take the stock twin 48mm bores to twin 50mm.
Exactly what he did. The article I read stated that any more than this
might put you completely off the stock fuel map.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this today or not. I've still got my MSD 6A and
Blaster II coil collecting dust. I might do that instead and to the TBI
next weekend. Hmmm......decisions, decisions......

*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6a, Blaster coil awaiting installation
****