Re: Dakota vs Dakota

From: GSpurgeon@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 12 1997 - 10:43:06 EDT

I had a friend who is a mechanic take them off and polish the runners as far
as he could reach, approx. 3-4", depending on the cylinder. He also polished
the pipe coming off the back of the manifold as far as he could reach.

There is also a ridge on the top of each runner, almost an 1/8th of an inch
he ground down flush.

Didn't have to use a gasket, I didn't make the holes any bigger. The intake
runners are fairly large and match up well to the exhaust manifold, size wise
(meaning they are a large as they can be for the stock manifold).

I know this isn't as smooth as headers, because I couldn't get all of the
manifold, but every little bit helps.

I found out after I done this that there is a place in town that will HPC
coat the inside of the manifolds for $70.00 for the pair. They use some sort
of Aluminumized coating that would fill in most of the pores.

Maybe someday I'll take them back off and have that done.

Kuk said he done to his truck by using a dremel tool, I seriously doubt that,
my friend's air compressor ran almost the whole time he was doing this, and I
was a good sized unit.

This is a fairly cheap way to help the exhaust flow, if you have a buddy with
the right equipment.

Gregg