re: Soft tonneau covers

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 20:29:02 EDT

At 07:01 PM 7/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>From: dhannu@centuryinter.net
>>Subject: Soft tonneau covers>
>>
>>I'm planning on buying a soft tonneau cover for my Dakota. Any
>>recommendations? Brands to stay away from? Good mail order places to
>>purchase them from?
>>
>>Thanks for the help.
>>
>>-Dave

I recently bought/installed a Checkmate FX soft tonneau on my '97 reg. cab.
 Flush mount style (rubber gasket seal), hinged with props. Low profile
bows with 2 running width of cover and 1 running full length. Very
weathertight so far, hinged feature is fantastic. Latches closed with
luggage style nylon webs/straps. Comes in black or 20 other colors. Took
a few hours to assemble and install but not at all difficult. Requires
drilling and mounting screws so it's not for the weak of heart. Whole
thing *after* shipping was $174. 800-944-9319. Located in Benton, KY.
Brochure is free. I'll have pics up on my homepage by the end of the night.

The nice thing about the way it's built is their hard covers ($350) use the
same aluminum framing material. I'm seriously considering coverting the
cover to a hard version and recovering with the vinyl.

You can see the pics @
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/tonno.html

*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
****