Re: Clunking: Front right

From: Marc Robertson (marc@blackberry-ridge.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 22:53:08 EDT

John D. Emery wrote:

> Since I got my 95 CC Sport V-6 2x4 almost 3 years ago (42Km), I have
> noticed a "clunking" noise from what seems to be the front right
> suspension. It happens occasionally on right hand turns involving a bump
> in the turn. I have inspected and checked and lubed, but have found no
> cause to date.

I have had a similar problem on my '94 from the time it left the lot,
new. Trips to the dealer were a waste of my time, nothing appears
abnormal and, as you say below, they can't recreate it. The noise will
go away for weeks at a time and then, usually after a good "jounce",
start up again for a period of time. I wish I had the answer.

  Some things that do not seem normal: Camber is too positive
> (outboard wear on tires) on both front wheels,

Check your toe-in, mine was way off from new. 4 jack stands and some
string can be very educational. Unfortunately, I did that AFTER
replacing the prematurely worn out original tires.

 Front right tire (P215/70R15
> Stock) rub top of wheel well before the bump stop hits. When I mentioned
> this noise to the Service Advisor on my one and only visit to a Dodge
> Service Center, he stated that he had heard of the noise from other
> complaints, but was unable to ever recreate it. He also stated that there
> was a TSB coming out on it. Anyone heard of it? I could not seem to find
> a mention of this noise on the web, so I thought someone on this list might
> have experienced it.

<snip>

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com