Re: Timing, EGR & PS Problems in '92

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 22:39:51 EDT

The timing is set by the computer, turning the distributor to adjust the
timing is going to get you all screwed up. You'll have to pull all the
plugs rotate the engine (by hand) until you're at TDC on compression on
#1. Then the rotor should be lined up with the notch in the distributor
switch place. If the rotor is about 180 degrees out (pointed toward the
driver's side of the truck) rotate the engine one full turn until the
rotor is pointed toward the passenger side and the timing mark on the
vibration damper is lined up with the "0" timing mark. Then turn the
distributor until the mark on the switch plate lines up with the rotor.
You may need someone with the factory tool to clear out the computer or
reset it or whatever is required.

The EGR valve is replaced as a unit with the vacuum solenoid. There
should be both vacuum and electrical connections to the EGR, if there
aren't you've got problems. I just looked at the new one I've got waiting
in the garage for mine and it's got a female electrical connection on it.
Check the EGR passages too. The valve is right behind the valve cover on
the passenger's side bolted to the back of the engine.

It sounds like your PS pump is all hosed up and not pumping like it should
or that there's a restriction in a hose. I've got 78k miles on mine and
although the pressure side hose leaks a bit, just enough to be
aggravating, the PS works fine.

Larry, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE, MP SBEC, K&N clone