Re: Gibson vs. Flowmaster

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 22:10:11 EDT

At 06:05 PM 7/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>So I stopped by Flowmaster today to hear a 2 chamber 'Delta' system on his
>318. It sounded sweet. The Flowmaster guy told me that I'd be really
>unhappy with the 'noise' from my bullet looking Gibson that is still in the
>box (3" in/ dual 2.5" out). He felt his 'Delta' would be much nicer at
>2000-3000 RPM.
>
>His second recommendations were: 3 chamber 'none delta' 3" in/ dual 2.5
>out., or a 3 chamber 3" in/Out with a 'Y' after the exit.
>
>I didn't care for the loudness of his 'Delta', yet he insisted the Gibson
>would be too noisy.
>
>As I carefully examine the Gibson, it's a 5" to 6" diameter with single 3"
>in, dual 2.5" out. It has no packing, but a chamber design that works down
>the edges of the outer tube.
>
>Maybe I'll be the only one on this list that is running a DT header and
>stock muffler as I don't know what to do!!

>James Bird BirdJD@InternetMCI.com
>'97 Dakota CC, V8, 4x4, 5sp, loaded, 500w of serious sound.

Man, I don't know about anybody else but this "guru" is startin' to pi$$ me
off! Ok James, this guy is either 1) Stupid, or 2) Flat out lying to you,
or 3) Some combination of the two. I'm bettin' on number 3.

I guess its no surprise, since he works for Flowmaster, that *all* 3 of his
suggestions were made by them. Personally I feel the way to get return
business is to help the customer get what *they* want....even if that means
sendin' 'em to the guy down the road.

He's either never heard a Gibson or he's a liar. I've heard the Gibson in
person, driven it, and driven behind it. Sounds fantastic but I would in
no way would classify it as "too noisy". Literally sounds like a big
block, just like their ad says. Extremely mellow tone. I'm tellin' ya
honestly, James.....based on what you've described as your desired end
result the Gibson is your choice. You'll get a bit more volume after the
DT install but it should really round out the sound and performance very
nicely.

Don't get me wrong, the same night I drove the Gibson I drove a 2 chamber
Flowmaster with a dual, rear exit and it sounded *real* nice. Quiet in the
cab but definitely louder at the pipe. If you *really* like the sound of
the Flowmaster and you can return the Gibson you could stand to save a few
bucks.

I know there's a few '97 Gibson owners out there and at least one '97
Flowmaster guy. Any words of advice here guys?

*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
****