RE: R-12 A/C '93 Dakota question

From: Bob Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 1997 - 00:36:41 EDT

From: Richard Brown[SMTP:Richard.Brown@MCI.Com]

Note: This was lifted from a previous message I received from Daniel
Stern, so don't respond to ME if you have any questions. I'm no A/C
expert... ;-)

Basically, DO NOT(!) convert your R12 car to R134a or any of the
R134a-based refrigerants (FRIGC comes to mind). They are far less
efficient than R12 and R406A, GHG-X4, etc. (rest deleted for brevity)

This seems to contradict the info put out by the Pennzoil/FRIGC site, who are
ditinguishing their product as -NOT- being R134a based. They call FRIGC "FR12"
and claim you just remove the old R12, add some new oil and then add FR12.
Please read http://www.frigc.com/FRinst3.htm for the info from horses mouth.
(also http://www.frigc.com/FRcons3.htm or start at the top: http://www.frigc.com)

They further claim compatability with existing R12 lubricants and less discharge
pressure than R134a (no changing or parts other than fittings). Someone also commented
on the fact that R12 is still available. It may be, but at scalpers prices. Once again, I do not
claim to be an AC expert, but one would think Pennzoil would stand to face significant
lawsuits if their claims are false. Please read their info first, and then I'd like to hear
why their claims should be refuted.

-Bob T.