Re: V6 Throttle Body

From: jules (jghunter@nol.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 14:56:38 EDT

Andre Mauboussin wrote:

> jaallis@ibm.net wrote:
> >
> > I've read all the posts awhile back regarding TB's. I never saw if anyone
> > benefited from them. If there was a difference was it worth the cost?
> > Also, I read somewhre that the V6 uses a TB with smaller throttle plates
> > than the V8's. If true, could I use a V8 TB either modified or not to
> > achieve even more airflow and increases than if I used a modified V6 TB?
> >

> Yes, you can bolt on a V8 throttle body, but you will have to remove
> the inake and carefully grind the holes to the larger V8 diameter. While
> you have the intake off, you can have a machine shop mill the intake
> runners in the plenum area down. These two mods will give you
> significant gains (25-30hp) and shouldn't cost too much. Get yourself a
> copy of the July 97 issue of mopar muscle where these and other mods are
> shown in detail. I don't recommend glasspack type mufflers. A large,
> turbo syle muffler will perform better and can sound quite throaty as
> well. Good luck

fyi...

over the past several quarters we have had several 3.9 customers send us
their changed out V8 tbis to exchange for modified MPI 3.9s as they did
not like the performance with the v8 they put on. soft bottom ends,
poor in traffic performance, stock worse than modified 3.9s.

we milled 1/4" off an intake runner and measured it on a superflow 600
set on a 420 scale. the monometer showed NO movement of the fluid
level... ie, no cfm gains! imo, based upon extensive work in the
manifold and tbi area the milled runner may give some gains at WOT with
a built engine, but for the "regular" guy... it will be a costly
exercise with little or no effective gains. there are other ways to
wake the 3.9 and it IS easy to get it to out run a stock 5.2 or a 5.9...

to say you will get significant gains with above referenced info from
the mag article is a misrepresentation of the facts..., ioo

magnum performance