Re: V6 Throttle Body

From: jules (jghunter@nol.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 16:02:22 EDT

jules wrote:

> Shane Moseley wrote:
> >
> > Several have asked for info on any "home-brew" attempts at modifying the
> > factory throttle body on their magnum's (for increased airflow I
> > presume).
> >
> > Any comments Jules?
> >
> > Would love to hear some more results 8-)
>
> glad someone asked... was about to comment anyway... :)
> as one who has done several hundred tbis from 3.9s to 8.0s and developed
> a complete tbi product line... i feel qualified to comment:
>
> FIRST & FOREMOST... I support personal inititive in the art of hot
> rodding. i have not forgot that i was but a drop of oil on the garage
> floor not so long ago... :)
>
> be advised... we often get tbis from cutomers to REDO that thought a tbi rework was an easy process to do... :(
>
> ALL have shown what any hot rodder/machinist/tool & die maker/gunsmith would call
> butchering. from gouged blades to comprimized blade seals to lack of
> craftsmanship and more. the dodge tbi is a precsion air metering system
> and it has its limits of modification. the best was from a paint & body
> guy who made little porting improvements but after hours of 600 wet/dry
> sanding had a very smooth but stock bore,albiet, two mismatched screws forced into shaft blade threads...!!!
>
> marginal gains, imo, will be gained from partial bore porting only. you can ruin
> a tbi in a heartbeat if you do not know what you are doing. we have
> evolved an intiricate gauging system to protect the bore seal...it is critical and can render inop the ais
>
> it is easy to destroy the shaft with rough disassembly. the holley
> screws will F&^$ up the threads after removal. you probaly will have a
> hard time to reassemble. we drill and retap from metric to SAE!!! in a mill fixture.
  the unshrouding is a marginal gain but the shaft and/or teflon will
make the
> diff. but it is easy to screw up the shaft as well. as skilled as i
> am i have F(*&%^ up several shafts... but the dif is i know how to fix
> them.
>
> improper dissassembly can produce a marred reassembly and a sticky
> shaft/blade combo. i go to great lengths to be sure all my parts are a
> 100% no-bind slip together for reassembly.
>
> marginal idle quality may result. poor performance also. it may not be
> worth the effort if you ruin the tbi, although i can, as a rule, fix any
> screw up it it happens to you... :)
>
> IF you are still up to the challenge don your hot rodding attitude and
> cut away. often times any personal mod will add to your personal
> self-esteem and that is good. beware of a screwed up shaft &
> performance if you go to sell the truck and the customer looks under the
> air cleaner and sees rough work.
>
> we offer an economy tbi that is only $200.00 it is a MAJOR rework of the
> tbi and it is 100% professionally done and really works well. a new tbi
> costs more than $200!!! :) if you get my jest.
>
> our economy tbi will probably significanlty out perform any home-brew
> formula sans the personal pride of "i did it myself!)... i mean i
> screwed it up myself!! :( (sorry had to throw that in)... (joking!)
>
> so there it is from one who knows the dodge tbi pretty well... i think i
> am hitting the nail on the head here... just based on sheer volume
> alone.
>
> we do our tbis in a $20,000 investment tbi machine shop that only does
> tbis... i consider the operations there in the "skunk room" to be along
> the lines of metallic surgery... one thousandth of an inch at at a
> time....
>
> cavot emptor... and buena suerte!!
>
> jules/mpi

ps: keep me posted...

for those that wish... should you desire i can probably professionalize
any home-brew to a more professional functioning tbi if you thot sending
it in would be of interest to you...

"ahhh... mr sears toolman... 1 20 grit grinding kit, a gallon of
polishing creame, a half-round wood rasp and a dozen "back-up" dodge
tbis...."