Re: Throttle Body Update

From: jules (jghunter@nol.net)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 02:11:29 EDT

Andre Mauboussin wrote:
 These are my> experiences as they happened. What are yours MPI
customers??

from time to time i do not relate to a "customer" who approaches me with
a know it all attitude. i remember our conversation. imo, you were
that kind of customer! :) i would prefer this to be private to me, but
you seem to think that we are doing something wrong and we are not. i
prefer to deal with those that are sincere and where a cordial and
professional exchange takes place. i have hundreds and hundreds of
happy customers.... in case you forgot!!... we only do RAMs & Dakotas!
from time to time... i do get calls from rude "know it alls" and i as a
rule choose not to deal with them... especially when they come across as
you do (did)!

no shirt...? no shoes...? NO service!!

they generally try to discredit me personally and try to make me to look
like a snake oil salesman. but too bad... so sad! our business is up
over 50% this year over last year and that one was a good year!

i am WAY too busy for such pettiness and i generally as a rule hang up.
i run a good shop and... run a good enuff business that i can be
selective if i see that in the best interest of all that that is the way
i feel about it. you were such a case in point!!!

this usually p...es them off and so here we are.

and... no one ever said there was not a delay for a tbi... they are
popular items and we put our heart and soul into each one... and
addressing tbi delays... all mpi tbi customers can go to head of line if
they send in their tbi!! at mpi... we are sensitive to parked trucks.
what more can i offer? and...

i NEVER sell one as guaranteed to lower ets!!! and i tell drag race
oriented customers that... right up front!!!

and that is because... at WOT the volumetric efficiency of a particular
magnum/dak's combination of the parts is lower than that of the mpi tbi
at WOT. and drag racing is at WOT! so while the tbis is a home run at
part throttle, and up, and overall it seems the lack of the additional
correct upgrades to up the volumetric efficiency of the TOTAL combo of
parts will hold a truck back... but then, mr andre... i am sure YOU
already knew that!

we do suggest, however, that a cam change will be good for one or two
tenths with our tbis.

fyi... mr andre... we are one of crower's largest 1.7 magnum rr
buyers... second only to summit racing and summit is in a class of their
own. are you saying that of the thousands and thousands of sets of
crower 1.7s... that they don't work! ARE YOU? come on now... ( i would
hate to think the dak list would think of your tech input and piece that
one in there too) (the whole team is out of step, 'cept mr. andre?) and
so I sold someone a set and.... they got screwed? COME ON NOW! BS! 99%
are sold on credit card here and i have yet to have a customer return a
set to me or to charge them back... my only response as a rule is
that..."jules, the truck really runs great now... tbi upgrade, 1.7
upgrade or both!

some guys put on a drop-in K&N and expect a supercharger...

i have heard before from customers...

added the mopar sbec... no gain.

added the 14" fipk... no gain.

added the R/T cam... no gain.

added the 1.7s... no gain. (2 times)

and as in the case of you calling us... i stay away from them!

did mopar screw them? NO, did their Dodge dealer screw them? NO, did
crower screw them? NO, did K&N screw them? NO... they just have
unrealistic expectations of what it takes to wake up an engine with a
stock cam that has less than .400" lift and what it costs to go fast.
maybe you should take up a crusade for them... search for them on the
net... and put your energies to more constructive pusuits.

so... many variables could affect an et performance... simple hard usage
can cut an et a 10th or 2. a case hardening wearing... centerlines on
the drivetrain moving... loose anything. tire wear... the list goes on
and on. I have seen cams installed where the sludge got to the oil pump
filter screen, reduced flow and #7 main bearing scuffed and the truck
ran slower after a hard run... now did the vendor screw the customer?
most problems are installer related! to the best of my knowledge, every
performance upgrade not performing as advertised sold by mpi...
eventually tied back an installer issue.

YOU did not control any of the vital variables. you only are relating a
story and that is subject to the way you interpreted it.

YOU may be knowledgeable and maybe even skilled... but you ain't for
me... i ain't interested in it and you are... i believe

doing the dakota list a real disservice with these comments. we run no
scam here, my shop is full of custmer letters that wrote to say how much
they appreciated it all... the service, the advice... the parts and
selection.

you may not be... but to me you are sounding like a 19-year old kid with
his feelings hurt becasue he didn't get to brag about how cool he or his
project was to me!

attitudes count here... always have and always will.

i suggest... you find ways to address dakota issues on the list that are
mutually beneficial and constructive. i don't feel the general consensus
is that we need you as Chief of Police!

it would have been my preference not to have had to say this to you via
the list... any customer having an issue with me can address it with me
directly. some customers choose to do that and we work together to
address their needs.

if we can't work it out... a simple request for a refund is all that it
takes.

no one has ever lost any money doing business with me and/or magnum
performance as a rule.

so please... do something more intelligent than bad mouthing me and
magnum performance. we are a good responsible shop delivering good
parts and advice to those customers that choose to do business with us.
... like go change your oil or something!

:)

jules