Re: Mileage and horse power increases

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 20:34:06 EDT

At 07:37 PM 7/29/97 EDT, you wrote:

>I have a 1994 Dakota with V-8,auto,air 2 wheel drive That I bought new in
95.
>My goal was to try to increase the milage first, and increase horse power
second.
>So I first made my single snorkle air cleaner into a dual snorkle air
cleaner with the plastic tubing run down under the battery box so it would
look as stock as posible. Then I changed the stock computer to the higher
horse power replacement Mp computer from the dodge dealer. This would be
the quickest way you improve both (as I was advised) needlees to say my
power went up as hoped, but lost a little milage (was getting 18.5mpg on
regular fuel now getting 18.0 using premium fuel). But paying way more for
premium gas compared to regular.
>Milage up here in Canada is very important to me as gas for premium runs
currently between 2.50 to 3.00 per gallon. My next step was to order the
Jacobs magnun Team. Not installed yet due to the fact one (damn !) spark
plug sperated in the head and now I have to go to the dealed to have it
removed. What I am looking for here is If any of you have any other ideas
that will then improve my milage i would be greatfull then I could do the
same things to my wifes 1995 Jeep grand cheroky the 4liter 6 cyclinder with
air and auto it only gets 15/17mpg average, Needless to say this gas milage
is killing me.

The Grand Cherokee is gonna be tough. Those things are quite the porkers.
 I know, my wife's 4dr S10 Blazer weighs a ton too. But any of the mods
you make to the truck can be applied to the Cherokee.

There are a few things you can do that will give both performance and
mileage (only when yer foot's not in it though) ;^)

Free flowing exhaust - LOTS of options....Custom with your choice of
muffler or a made to fit from Borla, DynoMax (only $90 for the whole
system with the SuperTurbo muffler), Applied Research and Technology
(sumthin' like that), Mopar, Gibson, blah, blah, blah.

Upgrade the ignition - Don't need to go as far as a MSD or equiv. but a set
of quality plugs, performance wires, and a hot coil will help a little.

A K&N will help. Get the drop-in if you want to keep your dual snorkle
setup (Hmmmm....wonder if the "ram-air" fender tubes and dual snorkle air
cleaner from my '84 Mustang will fit in the truck????)

Got a tonneau? BIG help. Or cheaper option would be to lower tailgate or
remove tailgate and use a "net".

Hope these help. These may all be things you've thought of too, but
thought I'd post 'em anyway.....sometimes it's the most obvious solutions
that escape ya. 8^)
*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
"Pilone Throttle Body"
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
Pioneer DEH-435 CD Receiver
****