Re: overhead console

From: Shawn Shultzaberger (shultzas@mwr.kic.or.jp)
Date: Sat Aug 09 1997 - 19:48:11 EDT

sclarke@cancom.net wrote:

> what is included with the overhead console on the new dakotas?. Is
> there a fuel readout until empty, is it accurate and does anybody
> wish they would not have ordered it?. I don't want to waste money
> in
> the wrong places. What about the stereo, I have an alpine cd
> controller 4x25, should I install this in a new truck or go with an
>
> original system. I thought I saw an option for 8 speakers in 6
> location amplified by 100 watts?
> Can somebody clarify this for me?
> It takes a mopar to catch a mopar:-)
>
> Steve Clarke 94 Dakota V-6, 5-Speed
> sclarke@cancom.net Alpine
> soon to be a 98 I hope:-)

   Steve,
    The Dak brochure says the console has trip computer, compass,
outside temp, average fuel
economy, right-now fuel economy, and "how far until you'd better get
a little gas". I have heard that
accuracy of the console is close but not dead on. I ordered it for
my Dak that I will pick up on
Sept. 19.
    I also opted for the Infinity CD sound system (100watts , 8
speakers 6 locations) .
There was a write up about this system in the July issue of Car Audio
and Electronics. They said,
that for a stock system it was pretty good. It had a nice bass
response from the doors but was
lacking in the midrange area and that you could not compensate for
this in anyway. The only reason
that I opted for the CD system was the fact that I have all CDs and
no tapes and I will drive it almost
3000 miles before I finally get to my new home. I needed something
to listen to. After I get settled I will pull it out and throw in
something nice.
    If you already have a Head unit I would just opt for the basic
system. (Add your own speakers as
well.) An aftermarket system will, in most cases, always sound better
than a stock system.
    Anyway, I hope this helped ya just a little.......

Shawn Shultzaberger