Re: Tires & Rims

From: Norah & Jason (janor@ican.net)
Date: Sun Aug 10 1997 - 23:31:09 EDT

At 09:48 PM 8/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey Guys,
>Well it's about time for me to change sneakers on my Dakota. (I've got
>49,000+ on the original Goodyears).
>I have a 94 Dak CC 4x4, V8 auto. I am really interested in the
>BFGoodrich All-Terrain Radials. I definately want to go a little
>bigger. I have read in the mailing list (I think it was on the Dak info
>sheet) that 31x10.5x15 tires will fit but may rub a little. Is there
>anyone out there who has tried these tires? Like or don't like? Will
>these fit my stock alum. rims?

From what I've been told, the BFGs won't wrap onto the stock 6" rims. The
sidewalls are too stiff. BFG recommends at least 7". I've heard of others
putting softer sidewalled tires in 31x10.5 on the stock wheels, though.
Come to think of it, I actually saw one once. I thought they looked like
doughnuts.

Well, you could probably get the BFGs on there, but you would have a hell of
a time getting the contact patch flat. I'm not sure what other problems you
might run into. They recommend at least 6.5" rims for the 30x9.5 size, so
those would probably work fairly well. Manufacturers are usually pretty
conservative when they tell you what you can and can't do. Lawyers.

As far as the tires themselves go, I've heard nothing but good things about
them. I'm still on the stock Wranglers, but I'm interested in getting some
bigger tires on there. I also like what I've heard and read about
Goodyear's Wrangler AT/S and Pirelli's Scorpion A/T. Has anyone out there
had any experience with any of these who could shed more light on the subject?

Jason Bleazard
janor@ican.net