Re: Low first gear

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Sun Aug 17 1997 - 18:25:04 EDT

As I mentioned in another message to the Dak group, I will be pulling a
5,800 lb (loaded) fifth-wheel trailer. (See www.shadowcruiser.com).
That's why I'm so interested in how low first gear is. The lower it is --
the easier it will be to start (while I'm pulling the trailer) -- and that
will create longer clutch life.

----------
> From: Scott Vieth <svieth@ameritech.net>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Low first gear
> Date: Sunday, August 17, 1997 12:39 PM
>
> > I test-drove a '97 Dak V8/5-spd yesterday and first gear was so "low"
that
> > it would be impractical to start out in first unless you're on a hill,
> > really loaded, or pulling a load. I don't know what rear it had, but I
> > will order a 3.90 rear in my '98. With your 3.55 rear, do you
ordinarily
> > start out in first? Or is your first gear real low, too?
>
> I don't understand. If first gear is too low for you, why are you
talking
> about ordering the 3.92 rear gears?
>
> My 5-spd has 3.55 rear gears. First gear works just fine. It's not too
low
> for me.
>
> Maybe you need to check the rear gear on the truck that you test-drove.
>

> =Scott Vieth
> '68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
> '97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back,
FIPK-clone