Re: splitfire plugs, wires, & cap

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Aug 17 1997 - 22:12:32 EDT

At 09:49 PM 8/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>More questions:
>
>Is it worth all of the money to spend on splitfire plugs? I have also seen
>splitfire wires. I guess you should buy it as a package deal. Do they
>really help gas mileage, and increase horsepower ect.....or are the truck
>plugs just as good. I notice a lot of talk about cap and rotors and wires.
> Just mainly the engine should run a lot smoother... Or will I also have
>better throttle response?
>
>Later
>
>Scott

        Nope....not worth the extra money. If they cost the same as say a
Champion Truck plug, or a Rapidfire, they might be worth trying. There is
some validity to the idea of unshrouding the spark. Old trick is to file
back the tip of the plug so its centered over the plug tip. Plugs not good
for as long tho.

        Heard a horror story about the Splitfire wires. Buddy's cousin put 'em on
his Z71. His coil fried. Replaced it. Fried another. Took it in and it
was found that the two core wires in one plug wire had shorted out to
eachother or sumthin' like that. You'd be much better off with a good set
of MSD, Taylor, Accel, or (my personal preference) Moroso Blue Max wires.
Taylor, MSD, and possibly Accel have custom fit sets for the Daks.

Some of the talk of replacing the cap and rotor, at least in reference to
the newer trucks, is regarding installation of hotter ignition components.
The stock hardware has a hard time living under the multi spark CD
iginition's firepower.

As for throttle response vs. smoother......I noticed the biggest change
after the Blue Max wires. This was pre-MSD. The engine accelerated much
more smoothly. Much less labored. The MSD added to that and was verified
by the Meldrum Butt Dyno. ;^)