Re: Thorley's are done...

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 00:30:48 EDT

At 11:47 PM 8/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>As I've said before, DH is a show header. The Tri-Y design was the
>great thing about 20 years ago, since then the header manufactures
>have found that equal length headers are the best. When is the last
>time you have seen a race car with tri-y headers? I've seen them on a
>few old show cars. And besides if it wasn't a show header you could
>get them unchromed. And the last thing a Magnum motor needs is more
>torque, with the intake runners they have torque is a given. Where
>they need help is on the top end past 4500 rpm where they are dead.
>I'll still lay money that if someone runs a set of true duals or a
>cat back with the stock manifolds it will run better then a set of DH.

        I wouldn't call 'em a show header. I agree that the "only available in
chrome" feature should go but they do give improvements. The Tri-Y design
is used *because* it's a truck. Not everyone races drives these things
like a race car (I'm one that does). High end power producing headers
would be a waste unless other induction (manifold, cam, heads) mods are
made too and, on the flip side, you wouldn't put a torque producing header
on a car built for high rpm horsepower production. Probably just isn't a
big enough market for a wide choice of full length headers for Daks. I
would prefer full length headers but I'd probably like to see a 1-1/2"
primary tube size for daily drivin'.

Just my $0.02.