Re: Q:Fog lamp cutouts

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 12:53:18 EDT

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 07:28:36 -0400 (EDT), WillTier@aol.com wrote:

><< I'm gonna be doin' this too.......can you get 4" hole saws? >>
>
>You can get a 4" at any tools supply place or should be able to. One thing
>for sure using that size of a saw you need to be very careful because if the
>saw can bite and jump and make a mess. The best way I have found on any hole
>saw is to drill the pilot hole without the saw on the mandrel, this way when
>the bit breaks through you won't jam the saw into the material which could
>break the bit and the saw could go wild. With big saws like that I also
>usually drill a smaller hole (ie 1 1/2 or so) which is easier to control the
>put the 1 1/2 saw inside the larger saw (Most mandrels have enough threads to
>do this but be sure before doing it as you would lose your pilot bit hole)
>this way the 1 1/2 saw would become the pilot bit and make for a safer cut.
>
>Bill

I looked for a 4 inch hole saw this weekend. The only thing I found would
cost me $30 and not fit a 3/8 inch drill.

I think that I'm going to cut a 2 inch hole in the cover and then use
a dremel tool to grind/cut out the rest. Has anyone tried this approach?
I figure I can use something pretty coarse for the big area and use
something much finer for the edges. I'll probably start on this tonight
unless someone tells me that it's a bad idea before I get home.

Jack - jack@cybermail.net
    home (817) 488-4386 / work (972) 516-6270 / fax (817) 481-7182
+ D.A.M - Mothers Against Dyslexia +
+ see www.cybermail.net free/lifetime email and $5 virtual server hosting +