'97 Dakota Performance ?'s

From: Matthew Brandes (mbrandes@realworks.com)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 11:29:20 EDT

I've been lurking for the past week or so, reading posts and going through
the old archives. I've gleaned a lot of info from everyone!! The Internet
is an amazing thing sometimes... anyway.. onto the meat of the post..

I'm the proud owner of a '97 Dak SLT, Auto, V8, ClubCab, 4x2, with most of
the goodies. Like all men and their toys.. I'm looking to improve it. All
of my driving is city/hwy driving so I'm not looking at making any racing
related improvements. From what I've read so far from the list, I'm
considering making the following changes.. I'd like to get opinions and
recommendations (ie: brand).

1) Going to add K&N products.. air filter and oil filter at next change.
Can someone enlighten me on the difference between just the standard air
filter and the FIPK?

2) Replace stock ignition related parts.. spark plugs, wires and cap. Any
particular brand to look for? Again.. not racing type products.. just
standard street level products.

Any other enhancements I should consider to improve overall performance?

What about after-market shocks? Could I expect to see ride/handling
improvements by replacing the stock shocks?

In reading the posts I've come across several abbreviations that I am not
familiar with... such as MSD and SBEC. Definitions anyone?

Thanks in advance..

Matthew