Re: Q:Fog lamp cutouts

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 17:11:55 EDT

Jack Snodgrass wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 07:28:36 -0400 (EDT), WillTier@aol.com wrote:
>
> >In a message dated 97-08-15 22:55:48 EDT, you write:
> >
> ><< I'm gonna be doin' this too.......can you get 4" hole saws? >>
> >
> >You can get a 4" at any tools supply place or should be able to. One thing
> >for sure using that size of a saw you need to be very careful because if the
> >saw can bite and jump and make a mess. The best way I have found on any hole
> >saw is to drill the pilot hole without the saw on the mandrel, this way when
> >the bit breaks through you won't jam the saw into the material which could
> >break the bit and the saw could go wild. With big saws like that I also
> >usually drill a smaller hole (ie 1 1/2 or so) which is easier to control the
> >put the 1 1/2 saw inside the larger saw (Most mandrels have enough threads to
> >do this but be sure before doing it as you would lose your pilot bit hole)
> >this way the 1 1/2 saw would become the pilot bit and make for a safer cut.
> >
> >Bill
> >

> I looked for a 4 inch hole saw this weekend. The only thing I found would
> cost me $30 and not fit a 3/8 inch drill.
>
> I think that I'm going to cut a 2 inch hole in the cover and then use
> a dremel tool to grind/cut out the rest. Has anyone tried this approach?
> I figure I can use something pretty coarse for the big area and use
> something much finer for the edges. I'll probably start on this tonight
> unless someone tells me that it's a bad idea before I get home.
>
> Jack - jack@cybermail.net

Sounds good, and you can probably do a good job this way. Are the holes
outlined so you will know where to cut? If not you might want to draw
the edges with a pencil or something so you will know where to stop
grinding. I say go for it. Even if you really mess it it's not the end
of the world, just go to the dealer and order a new one.... and try it
again....

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto