Re: dakota headers

From: SCOTT LEMSER (skipper@mailexcite.com)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 14:25:49 EDT

Replying in general to the statements made, both Pro and Con regarding headers.

1. There is only one way to make more HP / Torque in an internal combustion engine
>>> Increase the amount of fuel/air charge an engine is capable of processing from
the intake cycle to the exhaust cycle.

2. All other modifications are a by-product of an engines ability to process fuel.

Simply stated, to increase power you must increase the amount of fuel the engine
can intake (MPI, intake Manifold, FIPK, Cam ect..) with a similar improvement in
the exhaust flow (headers, Cat-back,muffler ect...)

Accesories such as the MSD or Jacobs ignition systems improve an engines capability
to convert added fuel to energy.

A. Generally speaking, power made in the upper RPM area (presumably over 5000 rpm)
is wasted power in the average street driven vehicle."If an engine produces the majority
of it's power above 5000 rpm, it is virtually guaranteed that low RPM power will
suffer"(Smokey Yunick.)

B. Tri-Y headers were first created in the late sixties and are designed to help
create maximum torque in engines designed to operate between idle and 5000 RPM. Only
one header design, released in 1996, has been proven more effective at low RPM. (someone
asked, "when was the last time you saw a racecar with Tri-y headers?" When was the
last time you saw a "racecar" designed to operate below 5000 rpm while towing a trailer.

By the way, there are still many people within the sportsman ranks who do use a tri-y
header to enhance low-end pull.

There is a qoute, "The real Voyage of discover consists not in seeking new landscapes,
- but in having new eyes". (Proust) Simply stated, Open your mind to others ideas.
I had intended to stay out of this argument until I saw what I interpreted as argumentative
rants and raves stating "I'll put my unmodified truck that runs 15.03 et's against
any body with headers and aftermarket crap like MSD's or Jacobs. Without mentioning
any names, Come to Texas and get embarrased by the guy with the 4X4.

Scott Lemser

Free web-based e-mail, Forever, From anywhere!
http://www.mailexcite.com