Re: '97 Dakota Performance ?'s

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 15:40:51 EDT

Matthew Brandes wrote:

> I've been lurking for the past week or so, reading posts and going
> through
> the old archives. I've gleaned a lot of info from everyone!! The
> Internet
> is an amazing thing sometimes... anyway.. onto the meat of the post..
>
> I'm the proud owner of a '97 Dak SLT, Auto, V8, ClubCab, 4x2, with
> most of
> the goodies. Like all men and their toys.. I'm looking to improve
> it. All
> of my driving is city/hwy driving so I'm not looking at making any
> racing
> related improvements. From what I've read so far from the list, I'm
> considering making the following changes.. I'd like to get opinions
> and
> recommendations (ie: brand).
>
> 1) Going to add K&N products.. air filter and oil filter at next
> change.
> Can someone enlighten me on the difference between just the standard
> air
> filter and the FIPK?

The FIPK is an open element filter with its own housing that replaces
your entire factory air cleaner assembly. It will give a larger
performance increase and make a neat sucking sounmd when you stomp on
the gas ;-) The standard air filter is the same size as your stock
piece and fits in your existing factory housing.

> 2) Replace stock ignition related parts.. spark plugs, wires and cap.
> Any
> particular brand to look for? Again.. not racing type products.. just
>
> standard street level products.

I use autolite plugs. You shouldn't need to change your wires ynless you
have 60k miles or more. I have borg warner cap and rotor on mine that
has brass terminals instead of the cheaper aluminum type.

> Any other enhancements I should consider to improve overall
> performance?

A cat-back exhaust system will increase performance and mileage.

> What about after-market shocks? Could I expect to see ride/handling
> improvements by replacing the stock shocks?
>
> In reading the posts I've come across several abbreviations that I am
> not
> familiar with... such as MSD and SBEC. Definitions anyone?

MSD is a brand of aftermarket ignition system(multiple spark
discharge)The SBEC is the computer or brain box that controls
timing/fuel mixture etc..

> Thanks in advance..
>
> Matthew

   You're welcome and welcome to the list!