Re: dakota headers

From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 17:21:06 EDT

Sam Parthemer wrote:

> ----------
> >
> > 15.05 is not bad for a Cinderblock on wheels. It's no 426 Hemi either.
> But for a 96
> > SB, Auto, 3.90 Axle, Modified exhaust with gibson catback(this we can
> agree on),
> > Crower 1.7 rockers, Transgo shift kit, and BFG Drag radials I did beat a
> 84 Vette.
> > Don't ask me how, he probobly couldn't drive. My exact pass specs for
> that run was
> > 15.084 at 88.6MPH with a 60 foot of 2.14 and reaction of .534.
> >
> > I'm eager to know what your Dakota runs...also, what you have done and
> the reasons
> > why you chose certain performance products. This is why I subscribed to
> the DML.
> > Thanks
> >
> > STAN
> > dmagnum@mail.netside.com
>
> Stan, my '95 Club Cab, 4x2, 3.90, sure-grip (the way it's listed on my
> option
> sheet), has run a best of:
> reaction 60' 330 ' 1/8th 1/4 mi
> S-----------------|-------------------|---------------------1/2-------------
> ------------|------------------------F
> 0.617 2.465 6.592 9.97 15.424
> 72.2 mph 90.42 mph
>
> This was accomplished with tons of wheel spin off the line, about .5
> seconds worth
> on my shifts to 2nd, and a chirp into 3rd.... I shift from 3rd to 4th at
> the 1/8th mile
> mark, and my speed goes from 72.2-90.42 in that last bit (18.22 mph)...
> Given
> another hundred feet it would be over 100 mph...The pulling doesn't start
> until
> around 91-92 mph (butt dyno). Give the fact you have a SB vs. a club cab,
> you
> are looking at a 400# difference, and you are running BFG Drag radials. I
> did this
> with BFG AT tires!!! (215-75-15's). Of all my runs, the 3rd-4th is the
> killer...A little
> late, and my times are 'ok'-- higher mph, a little too soon and my times
> are slower,
> and slower mph... I 'only' have K&N FIPK, MP SBEC, and 3" CAT back
> exhaust,
> and DT headers... I went against another Dakota (stock except for 3" CAT
> back
> and MP SBEC)... His best was 15.8 @ 88.7 mph... He was running wider
> tires
> (size unknown)... Just curious, have you had your truck dyno'd??? Maybe
> you
> have a rare hp output (*higher than stock-- each truck is different).
>
> I put out 212 hp and 277Ft.# of torque to the ground...
>
> Sam '95 SLT Dakota
> http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/

Hey Sam,

My CAPS LOCK button is off. My keyboard was not screaming. I was just to lazy to turn
it off. Sorry. My truck weighs 3780 with me not in it and a 1/2 tank of gas. I weigh
188. According to the Drag analyzer, Im making 228 HP And just under 300 FT LBS of
torque. My Vericom says 253.44 Peak (at the shift point). I have called the Magnum
teck line to see what my cam specs were. They informed me of an increase in duration
over previous years and a slight increase in cam advancement for OBD II
specifications. This sure explains why my truck is good out of the hole but falls off
at the top end. My truck ran a 15.28 completely stock at NYIRP Lecester NY with only
a K&N and pulleys. That is it. My 60 was 2.299. But it was 60 degrees out! My stock
stall is 2000. Then I installed a MP R/T exhaust only. Time was 15.26....what a
waste of money. Thats when I took off the stock Y-pipe and used a 93 Model which is
alot bigger. This seemed to raise the power band from around 4400 to 4800 or so.
Gibson is better for all out Racing but not necessarily fuel economy. Ive been told I
have a rare one. I don't believe it. I cannot MPH at the top end like you guys can.
My ET improved but my MPH DRopped at least 1 MPH from stock. Who knows if a HP
Computer (JTEC will work). Not one availible. No substitute for CID. I am doing a
swap in a month or so with the help of a friend in Va. who has done this
successfully. Im going there this weekend to finalize the purchase of a 95 360 and
drink a few beers then Vericom his 5.9L Dakota. I will let you know if it puts skid
marks in my shorts like he says it does....But then again....this man has owned and
raced B1 motors.......

Stan
dmagnum@mail.netside.com