Re: Removal of dash, stereo...

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 00:45:41 EDT

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:33:44 -0600, Pat Buthmann wrote:

>Hey guys, (generic term, applies to the girls as well)
>
> Does anyone know how much work is involved in removing the dash from a '97
>Dakota, and the replacement of the stereo? I'm looking at picking up a new
>head unit sometime today, but I'm wondering if it's all that difficult to
>replace the deck myself rather than have someone else do it. I know a
>couple of you have probably tried this, so if anyone has any suggestions,
>things to watch out for and general tips, please let me know. As well,
>what steps actually are involved in removing the dash would be helpful.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pat Buthmann

   It just pops off. The dash is 'wired' to the truck via the fog lamp
switch OR the place where the fog lamp would go ( the wires are still
there even if the switch isn't ).

   The fit is 'tight' around the steering column, but it will come
out with a bit of pressure.

   Circuit City, Pepboys, and BestBuy sell install kits. You'll want
both the dash and wire kits.

   Once the radio was installed with the installation kit, there was
a bit of a gap around where the radio and the cover plate. I put some
electrical tape around the plate to fill in the gap. Now it looks like
there is a rubber gasket around the radio that fills the gap. I think
it looks pretty good.

Jack Snodgrass - jack@cybermail.net

   '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, Fresh air by Meldrum