Security system (was Removal of dash, stereo...

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 14:43:41 EDT

> You mean your Dakota Security system let you down? If you had one... did
> you arm it or what exactly? Thanks.
>
> Jack Snodgrass - jack@cybermail.net
> '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, Fresh air by Meldrum

        True story... I had an alarm system on my previous import
truck ('86 mighty max). I had a booming stereo in it, and I too had some
jerk off break in, and steal my stuff. After my insurance settlement, I
got
an alarm system. It was a code-alarm. Worked great. 2 months later,
same thing; someone slim-jimmed my door, the alarm went off
and scared them away. I thought I was 'ok'. A month later,
I came out to my truck in the morning...The door was wide open, my
speakers
were gone, and so were my $100 sunglasses (my stereo was a pull out
then..and was inside my house). I couldn't figure out how the guy got
in without the alarm going off!! I went to start my car... DEAD
battery... Opened the hood, and I could then see that all of the battery
acid was all over the concrete. The guy got a cordless drill, and drilled
through my battery box, into the battery... All of the acid ran out, and
he did the door again... Battery acid ruined my battery box, and
ran down the inside of the fender (rusted it out in a jiffy). I was
seriously
pX$#@~% off!!

        I eventually sold the truck, got a Dakota... And haven't had an
alarm since...I don't miss getting up in the middle of the night to see why
my alarm was going off, or worrying about where I parked. If they want
to steal something from you... It will happen whether you have an alarm
or not...

        Sam '95 SLT