header coatings

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 11:21:36 EDT

Hi everyone, sorry to get back into header talk....again, but....

I was wondering how difficult it is to have a set of headers coated with
some type of ceramic coating. I've seen some stuff in the summit
catalog called Black Satin made by techline which is supposed to act as
a heat barrier. There was also some stuff I was reading about on the
web that said it would reduce underhood temps to below stock manifold
levels... is there any truth to this?

I am thinking about coating my Doug Thorleys. The instructions say not
to wrap them, but they do indicate that you can order the headers "raw"
without the chrome finish so they can be coated when you get them.

Is this something that I could do myself? I could have them sandblasted
to remove the chrome and then spray the coating on. I have access to a
commercial oven to cure them in, so that's not a prob. How would I go
about coating the insides as well as the outsides or would that be best
left to a speed shop? What kind of coating is the best for blocking
heat (jet-hot, black satin, cermachrome...) I'm a newbie to coatings,
if it doesn't show ;~)

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto