Re: Oil

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 12:29:11 EDT

dmagnum@ccs.netside.com wrote:

> Tony Mastres wrote:
> >
> > Hey, does anyone out there run Castrol Syntech 5-50w in their Dak. ? If so
> > what do you think of it. Thanks
> >
> Yes....I do!
>
> Best all around protection that I have seen. Protection at starting
> and at 5300 RPM. I get 16 miles to the gallon (V8) even with a heavy foot at
> times. If the top fuellers use a synthetic than it must work. I remember
> watching a race on TNN and someone's motor let go. The track officials did
> nothing but complain how tough it was to get the oil off the track due to the
> fact that it clings so well. That convinced me to spend 4 bucks a quart.
>
> Stan
> dmagnum@mail.netside.com

Yeah, synthetic is the way to go, but if you've been using dynosour oil
for a while then switching to synthetic *might* cause some very minor
seepage problems. I switched to synth at about 50,000 and developed
some seepage. Not enough that I have to add oil but just enough to make
things look dirty. A small price for the added protection synth gives
you.... IMHO anyway...

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto