RE: 97 Dak: 3" Lift kit?

From: Walter Felix (Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 16:02:28 EDT

So far, I haven't seen any listings for the 97-98 model years, but you should
be seeing something soon. The truck seems very popular right now so the
manufactures should be jumping on the wagon soon. So far the only manufacture
who is making lift kits for Dakotas is Trailmaster. They have a 3" body kit
for 87-96 (except V8 Model) and a 4" suspension kit for 91-96 model years.
That suspension kit doesn't list 87-91 but I have a feeling it will fit. The
only difference in the suspension of an 87 and a 92 is the lower control arm.
All the other parts have the same part number. Rancho and Superlift have
nothing for Dakotas.

The body lift isn't a hard install. The only problem I had with mine is the
two cab mounts right behind the front wheels. My truck was 8 years old when I
installed mine. The front wheels throw all the mud and dirt you drive
through, right at the front mounts and mine were rusted into place. I had to
cut them off with a torch. If anyone is thinking of doing a body lift on a
truck that has endured a winter or two, you may want to have a couple of cab
mounts on hand when you install the kit. On my 88 there are 6 mounts for the
cab. Two in the front by the radiator support, two behind the front wheels
and two on the back edge of the cab. I had to cut the bottom off the fan
shroud and cut & weld an extension into the shifter rod. Mine is an auto and
may not be necessary on a 5 speed. The bed had 8 spots where it bolted to the
frame. The brake lines had enough slack in them to stretch when I jacked the
body off the frame. The only other problem I had was I blew a transmission
line about a week later.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219