Re: Trailer Pulling

From: Tad Wirmel (tadmopar@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 17:21:22 EDT

At 11:48 AM 9/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>OK, here's an unusual question for the group. I'll soon be ordering a '98
>Dakota, CC, V8, 5-speed, 3.90 rear, HD everything, to pull my 25' Shadow
>Cruiser 5th wheel trailer (4,800 lb loaded). My biggest concern is low-end
>torque, since I want plenty of it available when I let the clutch out.
>That way, I won't have to slip it too much to get the *r's* up, although,
>with that *low* first gear and a 3.90 rear, it shouldn't be a problem. The
>solution to increasing low-end torque is probably different that what a lot
>of you guys are doing to improve results on the drag strip. Any
>suggestions?
>(P.S. - If you want to see the new models of my trailer, checkout
>www.shadowcruiser.com. Mine is a '91, so it isn't listed. But check out
>how aerodynamic these trailers are. It should be a good match for my
>Dakota. I don't work for Shadow Cruiser. I'm retired from federal
>service.)
This is just an FYI response, I'm not to big into figuring out torque curves
and such.
My father-in-law pulls a fifth wheel camper, about the size of yours, with
his 95
Dakota. He has an extended cap, V8, 5-speed, however, he ordered a 3.54
Suregrip
instead of the 3.90. He loves the way it pulls and has had no problems.

Tad
94 Dakota 4x4, 72 Charger, 65 Valiant