Re: Ram/Dakota 4x4

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 20:15:29 EDT

Let me add to Larry's Ferd bashing a little Toyota bashing.

Toyota made probably the best little 4x4s in the world back
when they made solid-axle, 4 banger-powered putt-putts. The
only real downside was a slim choice in locking or limited-
slip differentials.

Most 4x4s the Toy Co. sells now have their V-6. They may
very well have fixed the problem now, but up to just three
years ago, this engine had a nasty tendency to fail
catastrophically at about the 60K mark. By all accounts,
they are very good about quietly making good on warranty
claims, and providing a new short block. Still, not the
choice for RoadWarrior scenarios where there won't be any
replacement parts for 1000 miles.

Not to mention that Toys are the most stolen trucks. As far
as I know, Dakotas are the only 4x4 on the market where you
don't pay an insurance premium for the option.

Jim
PS. I've never owned a Toyota product, so I speak only from
hearsay and the experiences of others.