Re: Ram/Dakota 4x4 and Consumer (Reports)

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 23:05:57 EDT

> From: Jane or Larry Elliott <elliott@serv.net>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Ram/Dakota 4x4 and Consumer Distorts
> Date: Thursday, September 04, 1997 10:06 PM

(stuff snipped)

> I've also heard the same thing about Toyota V-6's, at about 60k miles
they
> puke big time. Don't hear about that in Consumer Distorts do we boys and
> girls?

Jane or Larry (did you flip a coin to see who would read this?) -

I challenge you both to put your money where your collective mouths are.
If you think that _Consumer Reports_ *distorts,* take them to task and sue
them. Or are you afraid to fail? The reliability charts are not their
opinions. They are the results of their surveys of hundreds of thousands
of subscribers . . . not a couple of friends, neighbors, acquaintances, or
newsgroup members.

You conveniently didn't mention that the '95 Toyota Tacoma Pickup 4WD is
listed on page 69 of their 1997 Annual Auto Issue (April each year) as one
of the '89 to '95 *Used Cars to Avoid.* And on page 71, there's a solid
black mark, which means *Much Worse Than Average,* alongside the listing
for the '95 Toyota Tacoma Pickup 4WD. There was insufficient data to rate
the '96. If you weren't in such a hurry to rant on this newsgroup, you
would've had time to read the whole magazine. What's the matter? Did a
Toyota pickup driver steal your first girlfriend?

To add insult to injury, guess what else is listed as '89 to '95 *Used Cars
to Avoid?*
* '94 Dakota 2WD (major problems with automatic transmission and integrity
(e.g., seals, weather stripping, air & water leaks, wind noise, rattles &
squeaks));
* '92-'94 Dakota 4WD (major problems with fuel system, automatic
transmission, electrical, brakes, exhaust, paint/trim and hardware (e.g.,
windows, doors, seat mechanisms, locks, safety belts, sunroof, glass,
wipers). .

_Consumer Reports_ accepts no advertising and, as matter of fact, will sue
anyone who advertises that their product was *Rated #1 in Consumer
Reports,* for example. Don't forget that I'm referring to _Consumer
Reports_, only, not _Consumers Digest_

I'd appreciate your comments.

Question of the Day: Will Jane-or-Larry (my hyphens) accept my challenge
to sue CR? NOT!!
.