re: Which payload option to buy?

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 13:24:25 EDT

} 1. Do I understand correctly that the larger rear brakes and tires
} come *only* with the 2600 lb option?

For my Club Cab getting the 2000 pound payload meant only 3.55 or 3.9
rear gears (the 3.21 isn't available), and the bigger rear brakes.
Bigger tires were not part of the package, but I already have 215 wide
tires (came with the SLT club cab package). The larger rear brakes may
also come with the sure-grip (limited slip) rear end. I recommend the
sure-grip and the heavy payload package. The package did upgrade the
tires from the stock crap Goodyear P215 to very nice Michelin LT215s.

} 2. Does either option compromise handling of the vehicle compared to
} the standard 1250 lb rating? It doesn't bother me at all if it rides
} like a truck, but I would like it to handle well.

I would say the heavy payload package will improve the handling. Ever
see a race car with wimpy springs? There is a slightly noticable
rougher ride from the back end, but nothing to worry about. I haven't
regretted getting the 2000# package for an instant.

} 3. Do any of the payload options include heavy duty shocks, rear sway
} bar, etc?

Yes and no. I think on the 4x4 the heavy payload includes the shocks,
but not on the 2WD (I could be wrong on this, and this is '95 info). I
was looking at 4x4s and then ordered a 2WD, and didn't add the "heavy
duty suspension" (heavy duty shocks) package. I replaced the front
shocks almost immediately because the front end was bouncing up and down
like a *@#$ #*$& Buick. In my opinion the stock front shocks were so
limp as to be dangerous. I put on KYB front shocks and they are a
massive improvement. Not too stiff in the slightest, perhaps even still
on the soft side. I still think the front springs are too weak, and if
I carried heavy loads very often I'd probably have to upgrade the rear
shocks too. Rear sway bars are not included with any package except the
new sport handling package, and I hear that sway bar is really really
wimpy. I put on a Addco rear sway bar and I'm very pleased with the
reduced body roll and reduced understeer.

} We do mostly freeway driving, with light loads, but occasionally need
} to haul a load of dirt or rocks big enough to severely over-strain my
} current truck (77 Toyota w. 272,000 miles). If *necessary*, we can
} split such loads up, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I realize
} the V6 & 3.55 rear end are going to be a touch underpowered with a ton
} in the back, but I can live with that. What I can't live with is a
} vehicle that's not going to handle predictably in an emergency,
} especially when nearly empty.

Get all the heavy duty packages you can and I think you will be happy.
It will haul far more than any Toyota I've seen. The V6 isn't as fun
as the V8 but you will get there.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD