Which payload option to buy?

From: John D. Emery (johnemery@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 12:33:19 EDT

>We're getting ready to replacy my wife's Camry with a Dakota std. cab,
>V6, auto, 3.55, and are having a little trouble deciding which payload
>option to get.
>
>1. Do I understand correctly that the larger rear brakes and tires
>come *only* with the 2600 lb option?

I can not speak for the '98, but my '95 came with the 10" rear drums as
part of the 3.55SG axle. BTW, I love the sure grip, even here in Phoenix
(ie. no snow driving).

>2. Does either option compromise handling of the vehicle compared to
>the standard 1250 lb rating? It doesn't bother me at all if it rides
>like a truck, but I would like it to handle well.

I got the 1250 lb rating, but wish dearly that I did upgrade (I ordered it
from the factory). I drive it empty 90% of the time, but do have to
(over)load it from time to time (up to 1850 lb of building materials). I
have since added 1250 lb helper springs and LT235/75R15 Big O Big Foot A/T
tires (slight rub up front on tight turns).

>3. Do any of the payload options include heavy duty shocks, rear sway
>bar, etc?

>We do mostly freeway driving, with light loads, but occasionally need
>to haul a load of dirt or rocks big enough to severely over-strain my
>current truck (77 Toyota w. 272,000 miles). If *necessary*, we can
>split such loads up, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I realize
>the V6 & 3.55 rear end are going to be a touch underpowered with a ton
>in the back, but I can live with that. What I can't live with is a
>vehicle that's not going to handle predictably in an emergency,
>especially when nearly empty.

I don't feel that the V6 is too underpowered if you only plan on loading it
down every once in a while. I towed a 2200 lb trailer from NJ to AZ, and
had the bed loaded, and only once did it seem wimpy (Ozarks). I would
recomend the 4 wheel ABS, it puts your mind at ease when having to face
emergency situations.

I admit my DAK rides somewhat like a truck, but it is very predictable
(unlike the wife's Ferd Taurus!)

Hope this helps,

John Emery
1995 Dakota Ext. Cab, Sport, 2x4, V-6, 5 spd, 3.55 SG, 4wABS,42k
Phoenix, AZ (and no A/C)