Re: Which payload option to buy?

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 17:11:51 EDT

KBB doesn't list either Sport+ or SLT+ packages. Would you happen to
know the order codes, and what they add to the B or E packages?

You're right when it comes to 2WD I see. The 4WD Sport plus is
option 25H (I was only looking at 4WD stuff). AS I said the '98
configure list seems more confusing than the '97. (following all
the must select sub-codes).

By lowest rate you mean the standard (1250#) payload option? Even if
I were going to add some sort of helpers, I'd likely go with the 1800#
option just to get the larger rear brakes.

Well as someone pointed out: IF the beefier springs are done as
progressive rate (helper) than that's the way to go. I haven't
checked if that's the current DAK way. What I talked about is with
fixed rate (non-helper) springs. I just know that I do not want
fixed rate HD springs for my kinda driving. If you over spring a
vehicle you might as well have no springs when you hit a pothole or
bump with an empty load. (race cars do use a variety of springs
depending on the track..ie; road course with bumps you would not
choose high rate springs and if you're driving in the real world
of bumps/potholes your truck will tell you real good as you get
air over bumps instead on keeping the tire in contact with the road).

Who makes these air bags? I presume you leave them in place but
deflated when you don't need them. Do you have any idea what
installation involves?

I had them on an El Camino once. I replaced the air shocks with better
shocks to do the damping function and the air bags were contained in
their own small spring cages that attached to the top of each axle.
They acted just like helper springs with some movement before the
bags came into contact (better IMHO than air-shocks that would jack
the rear end up in not loaded (had to inflate deflate shocks). You
can still vary the pressue in the bags, but I found a setting to leave
'em at that was a good compromise. There are a few types, the name brand
"Air Lift" amongst them. Not too dificult to install (mounting brakets
for axles...just bolt on and plumb the air line back to the license plate
area for filling. As I said, If the Dak uses help springs, then that's
probably the best compromise.

-Bob T.