Big-O Tires

From: Jeff Pierce (jpierce@n2.net)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 16:34:04 EDT

Somebody last week entioned BIG-Os for their 4x2. I have done the same.
Added 30x10.5 Big-O ATs to 92 4x2 (5.2 Limited Slip) for a trip to the
Eastern Sierra's a couple of months back. YES they do rub!! I'd
probably been happier with 29x9.5 - UNTIL this past weekend.

Took the 3wheeler out to the desert for a test run after rebuilding the
carb. The Anza Borrego east of San Diego has been hit by two flash
flodds in the past week and the trails are awesome! On Sunday eveywhere
was still untouched I was the only one there! Not another car could be
seen along Hiway 98 or S-2. The recent set of flashfloods left all the
trails unmarked and fairly packed.

Coming back from one of the washes up toward Plaster City ran into some
real soft stuff making a U-turn. With the trailer blocking my obvious
escape route, right front buried to the airdam, left front and right
rear off the hardpack but not yet burried. If I was running the
original Goodyears I'd still be there digging out. With the
Bridgestone's, that I'd just replaced, I know that airing down would
have gotten me out. Decided to test the Big-Os before airing down and
digging. Just cramped the tires the other way (yes digging in deeper)
backed up about 18" till I jack-knifed and drove them right out!

(Sam - this was the Palm Spring turn-off just past Hollywood and Vine on
the way to the caves. No ranger post were manned, and the sand unmarked
past Palm Spring! Yes it was Hot-Hot-Hot)

Will be making the fall pilgramige to San Felipe and test them in the
dunes there. With the Goodyears I've been stuck EVERY time, with the
Bridgestone's about 50%.

Again your milage may very, but was pretty impressed.

Later!

--
Jeff