Re: Idle Problems

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 13:52:30 EDT

RBusch1@aol.com wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Sam is on the right track, take out the MP SBEC and put the stock
>
> one back in! I purchased a used MP SBEC for my '93 3.9L about
>
> six months ago. Installed it and had no problems for the first
>
> four months then it started. On semi-cold start from time to time,
>
> very rough 400 rpm idle, could not drive truck. Had to sit and
>
> wait about 30 - 40 seconds for idle to return to normal before
>
> driving. Removed MP SBEC and replaced stock unit, problem solved!
>
> Good thing anyway, couldn't stand the pinging and was afraid I was
>
> going to destroy motor! I don't have a high opinion of the
>
> MP SBEC's anymore! What good is increased HP if you can't use it.
>
> Had the stock SBEC in for about a month now, no more problems!
>
> What a waist of money!
>
> '93 CC 3.9L 4x4 5sp K&N Taylor Wires Brass Cap & Rotor (sans MP SBEC)

I meant to include in my original post that I did switch to the stock
SBEC. I ran with the stock unit for a week with no change. I'm now
back to the MP SBEC. Even used the stock airbox for one day while I
cleaned my K&N setup. I'll be getting a new set of Moroso Blue Max
wires delivered Thursday. Man with all the stuff I'm replacing, I'm
going to have a brand new truck before long....

Again, this is only on a warm restart (truck's been setting 30 min. to
an hour or so) It idles fine for about 45 seconds, then has problems
for about 30sec. to 1 min. and then like someone turned on a switch it
smooths out and is fine thereafter. It is very predictable and happens
like clockwork. I may try to record a .wav file later today, I've got
some space with Geocities that I can use....

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto