Fluid changes

From: Brett Stoner (Brett@abacusinfo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 14:01:19 EDT

I'm nearly up to 12,000 miles on my 97 truck (2WD) and the owner's manual says to change the transmission and rear differential fluids at 12K (following the high maintenance schedule) I called the dealer to schedule this and the guy there was amazed that Dodge suggested this and said the fluids won't need to be changed until at least 30K. Now, I'm all for saving money, but is this really a good idea? I'd hate to save 80 bucks now and wind up spending several hundred later on to get the transmission rebuilt or replaced. Like I said, I've been following the high maintenance schedule, but I'm not really sure I need to. (Having put on 12K in less than 6 months I haven't really made very many short trips, and probably 60-70% of that 12K is on the highway)

Brett