Re: Fluid changes

From: tnadoman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 14:27:19 EDT

On 09/09/97 14:01:19 you wrote:
>I'm nearly up to 12,000 miles on my 97 truck (2WD) and the owner's manual says to change the
transmission and rear differential fluids at 12K (following the high maintenance schedule) I
called the dealer to schedule this and the guy there was amazed that
> Dodge suggested this and said the fluids won't need to be changed until at least 30K. Now,
I'm all for saving money, but is this really a good idea? I'd hate to save 80 bucks now and
wind up spending several hundred later on to get the transmission reb
>uilt or replaced. Like I said, I've been following the high maintenance schedule, but I'm not
really sure I need to. (Having put on 12K in less than 6 months I haven't really made very many
short trips, and probably 60-70% of that 12K is on the highway)

>Brett

I just went in for my 6,000 mile oil change and tire rotation today on my '97 4x4. I was looking
through the maintenance book and saw the same thing. I plan on having all the fluids changed per
Mopar's suggestions. By the way, it cost $98.00 to change the oil and filter as well as rotate
all four tires. OUCH!

Anyway, I would rather be safe than sorry. If something were to happen down the line, I can
prove that I followed the recommended intervals of oil changes, etc.

Dave Thede
'97 Dakota Sport CC V8/5-spd 4x4
K&N FIPK clone