Re: Stolen Cars & Trucks

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 16:23:21 EDT

At 11:55 AM 9/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>One of the considerations in buying my Dakota was the low incidence of
>theft (and accidents), that translated into great insurance rates.
>
>Now that the Dodge products have a bit more market presence, I wonder
>if this is changing? It's been my impression that most vehicles stolen
>by professionals are stolen for parts, and wildly popular cars that
>don't change much year-to-year are prime candidates. That's why the
>F-body Camaro/Firebird, and the Honda Accord top the lists.
>
>Parts prices are another factor. While we gripe, Mopar parts aren't
>really outrageous. The Japanese, however, have that art down. I just
>learned that a voltage regulator for my Ninja would cost $275! I'll
>be fitting an ugly boxy external VR...
>
>Jim

In southern British Columbia (Victoria, Vancouver etc.),included in the top
ten most popular cars stolen are (from ICBC statistics)...Dodge Shadow,
Plymouth Sundance and Plymouth Aclaim. These seem to be very popular with
the kids. Most thefts are teenagers joyriding.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada