Re: trannywork and the pumpkin

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 10:02:49 EDT

----------
> From: Rick <richard.c.mahoney@lmco.com>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: trannywork and the pumpkin
> Date: Thursday, September 11, 1997 9:48 AM

(stuff snipped)

> Any way - 1st my comment:
> As I was venting steam to the mech at the tranny shop, telling him
> the probs with the tranny, He told me that his shop sees on the
> average 25 GM truck trannys to every 3 Dodge truck trannys to every
> 1 f**d truck tranny. I was surprized to say the least.

That's surprising. The F**d newsgroup is full of comments about lousy
automatic transmissions. And, a friend (who works for a dealership) agrees
with the comments on the newsgroup about Taurus/Windstar/F-series tranny
problems. It could be that your area isn't F**d country!

> 2nd-my questions (2)
> a) I noticed that there was talk about changing the rear differential
> Lube for people who launch boats if their pumpkin gets submerged.
> How easy is this to do yourself Do I need any special tools (Pumps?),
> or will the lube grease flow out easily? (dumb question I know...)

If there's a drain on the bottom, lube should drain easily, especially if
it's hot. If it has an upper plug, you'll have to suck it out with a
simple pump.

> b) Does anyone think I have cause (or a good chance) to go back to
> the dealer and seek some sort of reparations for all the extra
> unneeded work that was done to my truck un-necessarily and cost me
> ~$400 and never fixed the problem! is Malpractice a possible claim
> due to negligence? the guy at the tranny shop told me if I had taken
> care of this 6 months ago, it would have cost me ~ $700 less

Whenever you have a problem, especially if it's elusive, make sure your
complaint is in writing on the service order. That way, if the problem
clearly reveals itself after the warranty expires, you're on record and
they should repair it.

Dick

Por Favore, Non Mi Rompere i Coglioni. Grazie!