Re: Engine Vibration

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 13:09:47 EDT

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:46:06 -0500, Matthew Brandes wrote:

>(I posted this in the Newsgroup a couple of months ago but received little
>response, so I'm reposting here...)
>
>I am about to schedule my second maintenance on my '97 Dak V8. When I
>first got the truck I noticed what I think is an engine vibration between
>66-68 mph. It's easily felt in steering wheel and gas pedal and you can
>kinda hear it w/o the radio on. When I took it in for it's first
>maintenance they thought it was due to an out of balance tire. So they
>balanced, rotated, and aligned the tires. Did not get rid of the vibration
>in the least bit.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas where this vibration could be originating from?
>I'd like to give the Service Manager some ideas on where to look. In my
>mind, something in the engine is out of balance or it could be something in
>the transmission.
>
>Matthew Brandes
>
>'97 Dak CC, Auto, V8
>
>Matthew Brandes

    probably a stupid question... but how is the tire wear on the front
tires? When the steering wheel vibrates, i think it's usually a front
suspension problem. Not shure why it would be the engine. I guess that
if it was severe enough it would make the rest of the truck ( including
the gas pedal ) shake.

    You might also have someone drive in a different vehicle and take some
video of the truck from different angles. Maybe the video will show
something shaking on the truck? I see vibrating wheels on cars all the
time and wonder if the person driving knows that it looks like their tire
is about to vibrate off. Just a thought.