Re: Synthetic Oil

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 09:00:06 EDT

I've used synthetics in my turbo cars for years and will not use
anything else. The high temp characteristics of sythetics is far
superior to conventional oil. Which brings me to another point, have you
ever tried to seat rings with synthetic oil ? It doesn't work very well
and it's recommended to use conventional oil for several thousand
milesand then switch to synthetic. Also several years ago either
Chrysler or some magizine did a durability test on the 2.2 which is
known for eating camshafts. One engine was run with conventional oil and
the other used Mobil 1 and guess what, the engine using Mobil one had no
measurable wear on the cam lobes while the other engine was near the
service limit. I believe the test was run in excess of 50K miles for
each engine.

I'm sure that the additive package for conventional oil has improved
since the introduction of the synthetics and they are better than they
were several years ago.

Is there any mention of why no qualified proponent of sythetic oil took
part in the discussion ? Just curious.

KW