Synthetic Oil

From: Gary Ludwick (72155.316@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Sep 14 1997 - 16:30:28 EDT

I've noticed discussion here from time to time from folks using synthetic=

oil.
I also have a Mercedes, and yesterday received the current issue of the
Mercedes Club's magazine in which there is a long discussion among
mechanics, tech experts and MB service personnel on the merits of using
synthetic oil.

In a nutshell...NO appreciable benefit.

The only measurable benefit appears to be in SOME cases, a slight increas=
in mileage...and that is negated by the high cost of the oil. The only
other benefit noted is easier starting in EXTREMELY cold environments.

One of the experts on the panel runs an oil analysis business. Does a lo=
of work for large fleet companies, trucking lines, as well as individuals=
=2E =

 In a database of thousands of users, they could find no difference in
engine wear rates between regular and synthetic oil.

Synthetics attack some gasket materials and cause increased leakage. Thi=
happens in some new vehicles. On older cars and trucks, as seals shrink =
&
harden, synthetics are MUCH more likely to leak. As one participant state=
d,
"Given the quality of motor oils today, synthetics have no place in the
market. With conventional oils, we have engines going 5,6,or 700,000
miles. What more could you want?!"

One other point: At least with Mercedes, you still must meet regular
mileage oil change requirements...even if you're using synthetic, or your=

warranty is void. In other words, you can't even take advantage of
synthetic's extended time between oil changes. Don't know how Chrysler
looks on this, but would guess they feel the same way. As one panel
member put it, " there's no free lunch and there's no substitute for
regular fluid changes...changing the oil frequently is the best thing you=

can do for any engine."

Thought all this might be of interest to those considering synthetic. Me=
,
I'll put the money I save towards some fun stuff, and keep changing the
conventional oil every 3-5000 miles.

Gary Ludwick