Dakota Comments & Questions.

From: Terry Hebert (hebert1@windsor.igs.net)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 21:20:45 EDT

Hello fellow list members.

I have had my 98 Sport V8 Reg Cab for about 2 weeks now and I have some
comments and questions. I have noticed the bed squeak that some other
members have spoken about. I really like the torque of the V8 down low
in the RPM band. You can feel it come on around 1500 or so. The throttle
response seems to be lacking but i've only got 700KM(400 miles) on the
truck. I really like the 3rd gear scratch. There has been frequent
mention of paint problems with Chrysler vehicles in the newsgroups so I
thoroughly checked it out. Yup mine's got a flaw too. On top of the bed
near the cab window, it looks like a 1/2 inch,2cm flaw. It kinda looks
like a weld/rust spot that was painted over. I will need to have it
checked out. I was under the impression that the new Dakota's had 8 1/4
or 8 3/4 rear ends. Lo and behold I check my glove box and it's a 9 1/4.
Is this right? There seems to be a clunking noise coming from the
rear-end occasionally when I'm shifting gears, not all the time though.
Is this normal for a truck,perhaps driveline slack? I can't say the gas
mileage has been any good but my right foot keeps slipping :). Does
anybody know if the K&N FIPK for the 97's will fit on the 98's?

Terry
98 Sport Reg Cab
V8 5SPD 3.91SG